Traditionally, a summer camp involves sleeping in the forest and enjoying outdoor activities like hiking and building a campfire. Nowadays, as kids are becoming more linguistically diverse, summer camp can also include learning a new language and meeting new friends from different cultures and backgrounds.
When you send your teens to an International Language Camp, they will learn intercultural communication skills, an exciting opportunity to develop fluency, establish connections, and gain invaluable life experience.
Here’s everything you need to know about International Language Camps for Teens.
What are International Language Camps?
International Language Camps are just like a typical summer camp, which offers a supervised program for kids, often conducted outdoors, except that in an International Language Camp, the main focus is to teach kids a new language. These camps include language classes and different activities to teach kids various skills. If you want your kids to learn a new language and develop essential life skills, the international language camp would be the perfect venue for them.
While learning a new language is the goal of sending your child to a language camp, it also exposes them to different cultures. During the summer camp, your kids can meet children from other cultures, races, and nationalities. It’s the best way to immerse your kids in environments different from what they are used to, helping them be more open-minded and accepting of people despite cultural differences.
Your kids will have a productive time at the summer camp. They begin their day by taking language classes in the morning. The organizers will make the experience enjoyable for the kids since the goal is to learn while having fun.
After the language class, they can enjoy various activities, from hiking to golf, fishing, tree climbing, and more! Depending on where you will send them for the summer camp, they also have the opportunity to explore local attractions. For instance, if you send your child to a summer camp in Switzerland, they can explore picturesque villages in the Alps.
The Best Time to Go on an International Language Camp
One of the questions parents often have about summer camps is what would be the best time to send their kids. Several studies show that learning a new language at a young age is ideal. While you can still learn a new language as an adult, starting young is much easier.
The most recent study concluded that learning a new language from a young age will give a child a better chance of becoming more proficient. Therefore, the best time to send your child to an international language summer camp is before ten years old. At this age, your child’s brains are adept at learning the language’s pronunciation and grammatical rules.
Starting the language learning process before ten will give your child enough time to pick up on the correct grammar and accent. So, when they are older, they will be more proficient.
The Best Destinations for International Language Camps
One of the benefits of sending your child to an international language summer camp is discovering a new place. It’s an excellent opportunity for your child to travel at an early age, exposing them to many beautiful places. Of course, the destination will be an essential factor.
Switzerland is a renowned destination for international camps since most camps here are in stunning locations surrounded by picturesque mountain villages and majestic mountains. Best of all, most of the summer camps in Switzerland have high-quality facilities and well-experienced staff, so you can rest assured your kids will be safe and comfortable.
As one of the world’s most beautiful countries, France is a fantastic destination for an international language camp. You’ll find numerous organizations in France that offer language camps for kids of all ages. Many offer language immersion programs, an excellent way for your kids to be proficient in French.
The Benefits of International Language Camps
If you need more reasons to send your child to a summer camp, refer below for some of the benefits of an international language camp.
- Learning a new language – the most obvious benefit of sending your child to summer camp is learning a new language. They will join language classes every day that can help them become proficient.
- Meet new friends – another benefit is meeting friends from around the world. The kids joining summer camps come from different countries, and it’s a fantastic opportunity for your child to get exposed to new cultures.
- Develop essential life skills – aside from learning a new language, your child can develop essential life skills at the summer camp. They will join different activities that can hone their problem-solving and communication skills.
- Promotes independence – being away from home for a few days at the summer camp can teach your child how to be independent and confident. Being away from parents teaches your child to make decisions without relying on you.
- Increase cultural awareness – sending your child to a summer language camp is the best way to learn about new cultures from other campers. Since the camp is held internationally, your kids can meet friends from other countries, exposing them to different cultural backgrounds.
What to Pack for an International Language Camp
To ensure your child will have a smooth and hassle-free experience at the summer camp, pack everything your child needs. In most cases, the organizer will provide a list of items to pack for your kids.
Here’s what to pack for an international language camp:
- Clothing for the entire duration of the camp and some extra clothes. If the activity includes swimming, pack their swimwear.
- Comfortable pair of shoes, sandals, and flip-flops.
- Sleep necessities – ensure your child has the necessities to get a good night’s sleep.
- Medicines – although the camp will have some meds in case of emergencies, it’s essential to pack the necessary medications for your child, especially if your child has prescription medicines.
- Backpack and mesh bag
- Reusable water bottle
- Pens and notebooks